By: Danielle Prevost BA, CNP (Hons.), NNCP
If the words ‘cleanse’ or ‘detox’ send you running for the hills, fear not! Purium’s 10-Day Transformation Program is not something to be afraid of. Rather, it is a way of reconnecting with plant based, whole food nutrition. This program serves as a kick-start to your journey to optimal health. Consider it a vacation from processed and GMO-filled foods, clearing the way to allow the body to perform its magnificent and innate ability to detoxify itself.
The breakdown is simple; for 10 days you consume only your Purium supplements, occasional ‘flex’ foods and a lot of water. In restricting caloric intake, the body is able to focus its healing energy to where it is needed. Your body can use this energy to lose weight, deal with a health challenge, or maybe just feel happier! By taking premium quality, targeted supplementation, it ensures you’re getting adequate nutrition to fuel your day.
Have you ever heard of the Rain Barrel Effect? Imagine your health as a big barrel that contains all of your epigenetic predispositions (ie. potential risk) for disease, together with all the environmental influences that accumulate in your life. Thousands of new chemicals are released into the environment every year, with little understanding on how they affect our health. Toxins are inhaled through our air, consumed through our food and absorbed through our skin. Some toxins are even made by our own body as waste products of natural metabolism. Over time, our barrels is filled with pollutants, pesticides, electromagnetic radiation, GMOs, heavy metals, plastics, drugs and stress itself. These burden the liver and bog down digestion. Our elimination pathways become congested and we’re unable to rid our bodies of these harmful substances faster than the onslaught. Eventually, our barrel becomes full and it begins to overflow. You may already exhibit signs and symptoms that indicate an imbalance. Bodily functions become so compromised by the toxic overload that the body can no longer find balance on its own and needs help in dealing with the burden. When waste accumulates in the body, it creates an ideal terrain where chronic conditions can develop. Enter Purium’s 10-Day Transformation Cleanse!
When to Cleanse?
There’s a reason for the season! The transition from winter to spring is a great time to lose weight and cleanse the body of toxins. Waste tends to accumulate over the winter and with springtime comes new growth and rejuvenation. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, spring is the best time to cleanse and nourish our main detoxification organ; the liver. When it’s warm out, it is easier for the body to be in its natural detoxification state. With more heat comes more sweat and naturally, we release more toxins. Eating raw, light food is what we crave in the warmer months, when there is an abundance of fresh, organic fruit and vegetables. We all like to look great in shorts or a bathing suit, so motivation increases as the hot summer approaches. You may also have a lighter workload, making summer the perfect time for you to detox all of your mind, body and soul.
My Story of Transformation:
As a young professional, trying to juggle work and responsibilities, with relationships and fun, isn’t always easy. Like so many of us, I find myself stressed out and overwhelmed, especially when looking for that elusive ‘self-care‘ amidst it all. I’ve been on my own journey to wellness for the past two years, and I know first-hand how discouraging it can feel when times get tough. So why am I doing the 10-Day Transformation Cleanse? With a recent diagnoses of adenomyosis (similar to endometriosis) and ongoing issues with chronic hives and inflammation, my body is giving me the signals that my barrel is becoming full. I’m listening to the signs, directing my attention to where it is needed, and stepping back to allow my wonderful body do what it was designed to do; detoxify. Around this time last year, I completed the Purium 10-Day Transformation Cleanse and I can’t wait to do it again with you!
Here are a few reasons why:
- Flood the body with nutrient dense foods
- Break addictions to sugar, salt, carbs and chemicals
- Cleanse and heal the digestive tract
- Burn fat, build muscle
- Support the liver in detoxification
- Balance hormones
- Tune into the body’s true hunger and satiety signals
- Reduce inflammation
- Detoxify on a deep, cellular level
- Reset metabolism
- Increase energy
- Release weight
After 10 days of nurturing the body and giving it only what it needs, I expect to have more energy, clear skin, sharper thinking, and better overall health. After completing the program last year, I felt renewed and transformed, and I never felt more hydrated in my life!
What else did I learn?
- Coffee is highly addictive. Giving up my daily cup (or 4!) of coffee was the most challenging aspect of the program for me. Ill advising, I went cold turkey without tempering my intake prior to starting, which resulted in a withdrawal headache that lasted for three days.
- Chronic dehydration is a thing! I was dehydrated for a long, long time. We all know we should drink more water, but what happens when you actually DO? The effects of this simple, yet exceptional state of proper hydration are both vital and profound.
- Discover a new relationship with food. Prior to doing the program, making time to plan, prep and execute meals was a nuisance and a chore. Stepping outside the daily decision making, planning and stress that can surround food and eating, helped me to gain a new perspective and appreciation for that privilege. Now, I actually enjoy spending time preparing and cooking my meals! Looking at food in context can free us from restraints and give us the opportunity to take control and celebrate the food we eat. I’m deeply grateful and empowered by the gift to nourish and educate, while spending time with family and friends; shopping, growing, preparing and sharing our meals together.
How to Prepare for the Cleanse:
- If you are a person who appreciates quantifying your success, take before and after measurements, weight and pictures. Otherwise, choose an activity that’s meaningful to you to use as a gauge, like keeping up with your kids, performing at work, or simply walking a flight of stairs. Keep this in mind as you go through the program, tuning in to any changes or improvements.
- Cut down on caffeine. Learn from me! Cold turkey is much harder when you go from a lot of something, to none of something. Do yourself a favour and cut down on caffeine and alcohol in the weeks leading up. It also helps to reduce particular food cravings like chocolate, dairy, processed and salty food, sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Set yourself up for success! Detox your kitchen and stock up on flex foods. Try eating light and more plant-based in the days leading up to and following the cleanse. It is better to avoid jumping into eating big meals after days of intermittent fasting and cleansing. Re-introduce food slowly and strategically, paying close attention to how particular foods make you feel.
Pro-Tips for Success:
- Alternate your flex foods.
- Save 2 flex servings and eat a salad: 1/2 c spinach, 1/2 avocado and cucumber (add lemon juice and sea salt and pepper for dressing).
- DO THINGS! When you don’t have to focus on food, there is an abundance of free time. Take a painting class, go for a walk, do some writing, or get tea with friends.
- Keep a journal as you go.
- Most importantly; plug into the support around you. The 10 days can be a bit of a ride and it helps to share with others who are going through a similar situation.
Reach out Today!
This program will help you make healthier choices down the road, far after the 10 Days are complete. While this program is the perfect launch pad to getting you started on your journey to health, what you do after the 10 days is just as important! Once the body and mind are clear of the noise and clutter, you can now discover what your body truly craves and needs in order to thrive. Take the opportunity to learn healthy eating habits, hone in on cooking skills, and embark on a personal wellness journey that keeps you moving toward optimal health. Reach out for support from your Holistic Nutritionist today and let’s discover the hero within you!